Friday 8 January 2016

Blog News: Sustainable Tourism Finally Takes the Forefront!

Reflecting on the course of this blog so far, I feel I’ve taken a pretty negative stance in exploring tourism’s role in global environmental change and possibilities for sustainable tourism. So for a bit of a change, here is my blog proclamation of some fantastic news: following the deliberations at COP-21 this month, the United Nations has officially declared 2017 the ‘International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development’!


The United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) has taken the lead role in this plan, with their Secretary-General, Taleb Rifai, claiming this “is a unique opportunity to advance the contribution of thetourism sector to the three pillars of sustainability – economic, social and environmental, while raising awareness of the true dimensions of a sector which is often undervalued”. I honestly couldn’t agree more – tourism has barely been mentioned in previous initiatives such as the Millennium Development Goals. Considering the sector accounts for 10% of GDP globally and 1/11 jobs, tourism has real power to make a change. Rifai added that the UNWTO is looking to work with loads of other stakeholders including governments, relevant sectors of the UN and NGOs, inviting them all to participate. I believe that the collaboration of stakeholders is key for achieving the goals of the declaration and sustainable tourism more generally, which, although fairly vague, is still in its early stages and will surely develop by 2017.

To add to this, the UNWTO has released this document which shows how tourism can potentially contribute - both directly and indirectly - to all 17 of the recently adopted Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)  as part of Agenda 2030. Furthermore, tourism has been featured in specific targets for 3 of the recently adopted Sustainable Development Goals. Most notably, these include Goal 14 , which is to “Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development”, with the specific target to “by 2030 increase the economic benefits of [Small Island Developing States] SIDS and [Less Developed Countries] LDCs from the sustainable use of marine resources, including through sustainable management of fisheries, aquaculture and tourism.” One little quiff I may have is that tourism really should have been mentioned in a target for Goal 13 as well – ‘Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts’ – considering it's direct emissions contribute 5% of all global CO2 emissions!

All in all, however, it seems that tourism is finally taking the forefront in global discussions for achieving sustainability. Whether 2017 will play out to be a success cannot be said yet – but the fact that International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development’ exists and is being talked about can surely only be positive!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Shruti,
    Refreshingly positive and interesting post as usual!
    I definitely think tourism has the potential to contribute massively to the mitigation of climate change and environmental destruction. Thinking of ecotourism particularly, promoting sustainable alternatives and providing environmental education are two key attributes which raise awareness of the importance of conserving the earth in its natural state and the dangers associated with biodiversity etc with anthropological CO2 emissions. I definitely think that its consideration in COP21 negotiations can only be a positive change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caitlin! I very much agree with you! I think ecotourism and environmental education and really important in informing consumers and travellers like us of the importance of sustainable alternatives. Furthermore, I think the tourism sector has the revenue and power to really take the lead in emissions reductions, especially in the hotel and transport sectors, which are currently the biggest emitters sector-wise. Tourism's finally starting to get noticed in global discussions as a force for both evil (being a really substantial emitter) but also good!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful news - nice to know it isn't all doom and gloom. I'm glad they've finally begun to take action to reduce the environmental impacts of tourism - they must have been reading your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben! Haha well I have tweeted the UNWTO a couple of times to see if they'd share my blog (wishful thinking I know!) I agree - I'm especially pleased with the explicit mention of tourism in the SDGs targets, as I don't think the sector was mentioned at all in the MDGs!

      Delete
  3. Hi Shruti, a very positive side of sustainable tourism and a very interesting blog-post. I am glad to see that COP21 negotiations were positive in this aspect. I was wondering if you know how the UNWTO aim to achieve/ promote sustainable tourism in a different way compared to what they have been doing already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, thank you for your comment. I'm glad you share my enthusiasm! Although the plans are pretty up in the air at the moment - if you check out the resolution above you'll see that it's really vague - I think the main thing the UNWTO is looking to do is increase coordination between major groups related to the tourism sector. This includes government stakeholders, other organisations like UNEP and smaller-scale individual players. In my sustainable tourism post from earlier I review my stakeholder coordination is really important in promoting sustainability in the sector - decisions can't just be left to private companies. I'm not sure I can answer your question more elaborately until more information is released - after all, the declaration was only first adopted a few weeks ago! But do stay tuned for more updates on 2017 - maybe even on this blog!

      Delete
    2. Hi Maria, thank you for your comment. I'm glad you share my enthusiasm! Although the plans are pretty up in the air at the moment - if you check out the resolution above you'll see that it's really vague - I think the main thing the UNWTO is looking to do is increase coordination between major groups related to the tourism sector. This includes government stakeholders, other organisations like UNEP and smaller-scale individual players. In my sustainable tourism post from earlier I review my stakeholder coordination is really important in promoting sustainability in the sector - decisions can't just be left to private companies. I'm not sure I can answer your question more elaborately until more information is released - after all, the declaration was only first adopted a few weeks ago! But do stay tuned for more updates on 2017 - maybe even on this blog!

      Delete
  4. I read Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that...
    Tour Supreme

    ReplyDelete